- Title: The Lisu
- Artist: Kink Gong
- Label: Discrepant
- Format: Tape
- Genres: Compilation, Vocals, World, Traditional Music, Spoken Word, Field Recordings, Acoustic, Misc Asia & Middle East, Misc France, Misc Berlin
- Price: €8,50EU (incl. 19% VAT)€7,14non-EU
Back in stock!
"The Lisu are more than 700 000 in western part of Yunnan, China, about 400 000 in northern Myanmar and over 50 000 in northern Thailand. All Lisu subgroups are classified as Tibeto-burmese.
1. 10 variations of WAIKIKI dancing tunes played on CHIBEU (4 stringed lute) from FUGONG YUNNAN CHINA 2011
2. LISU BAMBOO ERHU (2 stringed viole) KUNMING YUNNAN CHINA 1998
3. SALA animist ceremony of blessing, first to the spirit of a huge rock and second to bring luck to the farmers and the people intending the ceremony and being blessed by a local shaman (SAPIA), in Namrin village MAE HONG SON THAILAND 2014
4. MOUTHORGAN recorded in Teufelberg CIA reverb room BERLIN
5. 2 women song AME CHICHIC 50 years old lead singer and ASSAMA backing vocal in Namrin village MAE HONG SON THAILAND 2014
6. 4 women divided in 2 groups, 2 duets of canon singing alternate and responding to each other. An improvised song about the festival and the possibility to travel and meet other lieu people, performed by ASSAMA SINCHAO 54 years old, ALUMA LIJIA 63 years old, ASSAMA SEIMI 60 years old, ASSAMA SEIMI 57 years old- 4 women from Tak province but originally from Chiang Rai. NAMHU village MAE HONG SON THAILAND 2014
7. CHIBEU being played by a Lisu man from Thailand, the poor sound system makes it a real electro acoustic experience, recorded during the international LISU festival which is been going for the last 15 years and takes place in Lisu occupied countries: China, Myanmar and Thailand, the 2014 edition took place from march 2 to 4 outside a Lisu village ban Namhu, gathering all kind of Lisu sub groups from the 3 countries.
8. Sound of steps and heavy silver decorations worn by women while dancing in circle, members come and go, the dancing circle rarely ends during the 3 days celebration
9. LISU responsive singing between 2 women in YANGBI YUNNAN CHINA
10. AH CHI 60 years old man living in CHI HENG DI village outside of Fugong, Nujiang, plays his self made CHIBEU
11. Electronic based on a DONG viola GUIZHOU CHINA
12. FULU a 5 bamboo tubes mouthorgan mounted on a small gurd played by SAPIA, 80 years old man and local shaman in Namrin village MAE HONG SON THAILAND 2014
13. Scene at night when Lisu pop music is on stage, away are sitting 3 women and one old man improvising and responding to each other NAMHU village MAE HONG SON THAILAND 2014
14. 2 women song AME CHICHIC, 50 year old lead singer and ASSAMA backing vocal in Namrin village MAE HONG SON THAILAND 2014
15. AH CHI 60year old man living in CHI HENG DI village outside of Fugong, Nujiang. He plays his selfmade CHIBEU and sings YUNNAN CHINA 2011
16. Electronically transformed CHIBEU originally performed by AH CHI
Compiled & Mixed by Kink Gong."